Thursday, March 18, 2010

Uncomfortable


At the beginning of any new venture, project, unprecedented experience, or trip to a new land, I find myself feeling uncomfortable. So uncomfortable that I hesitate moving forward, consider not doing it at all, or worse even, turning back. It's strange because I have always said that I love beginnings, it's endings that I am not fond of. I am a perfectionist (or so I've been told), and want to be good at everything that I do. I want to do everything right and when it comes time to embark on something that is brand new to me, the risk of making a mistake is sometimes unbearable.

If we don't try new things or welcome these brand new experiences, in spite of the onset of discomfort, we will not enjoy the fruits of growth. But don't take it from me, take it from some wiser souls than I:

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
- Alan Cohen

Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.
- Anias Nin

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
-Charles Dubois

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus

No comments: