Friday, April 8, 2011

Soixante

Photo by Chuck Close, courtesy of The Pace Gallery, featured in Harper's Bazaar

I recently began working with a life coach to help me gain clarity around my dreams and goals. I don't seem to have a hard time determining how to accomplish them, but determining what they are could use some added support right now. Having recently accomplished my dream of living in Paris, it seemed wise to keep this momentum going and to go "bigger".  (Bigger than Paris? yes, please.)

I was encouraged to explore a visioning exercise with these seemingly simple instructions:

Fast forward to your 60th birthday party.

Visualize: Where are you? How are you celebrating? Are you alone or with others? What are you doing? Who is there? What are you wearing?  How do you feel? What is your lifestyle like? What does your body look like? What does your face look like?

Luckily for me, I had just read an article in Haper's Bazaar featuring a photo portrait of Diane Von Furstenberg by Chuck Close and an interview between them both. It gave me fabulous context for embracing this exercise.

"...At 64 [Diane Von Furstenberg] has never had any plastic surgery, has no plans to, and if anything takes pride in her lines. "I’ve always liked wrinkles,” she says. “When I was a young girl, I used to make lines on my face with my nails because I loved Jeanne Moreau. I always wanted to be older; I always added years to my life. For the longest time, if people thought I was older I would take it as a compliment.”
- Diane Von Furstenberg quote taken from DVF Portrait, Harper's Bazaar 


Click here to read to full article.

1 comment:

Theo said...

I, myself, will be picking up the aesthetic pieces as I go along. Cost-conducively, of course.