Thursday, November 10, 2011

Deux fois


Deux fois (Fr.)/ Twice (Eng.) adverb:  two times; in two cases; on two occasions.

This is Day Ten of the month long NaNoWriMo  (National Novel Writing Month) Challenge. Or as I like to call it, The Month That I Slept a Total of 30 Hours and Drank as Many Bottles of Wine.

I am proud to say that I have stuck with it so far (there's still time to jump ship) despite my better (saner) judgement. Everyday the goal is to write approx. 1,700 words in order to reach the 50,000 word goal at the end of the month. I am at 16,000 (how did that happen?) I already have a very full plate so taking on this challenge, on top of work, school, and Paris, not to mention zero skills as a writer, is probably considered a Category 5 act of insanity.

It would have been easy for me to have abandoned the mission once I realized that a novel is supposed to be fiction, and to write fiction you must first have a main character and a story to tell.  I had neither. Instead I decided to retell my own story of the first time I moved to Paris in 2006. At least that gave me a no excuse way to get started. Plus it is a story that I have been encouraged to retell.  So that is what I am doing.

Suffice it to say, I am both bored with and amused by my story. Retelling it has found me looking at it in a whole new light. And on Day Ten I am rethinking both the beginning and the end.

"We write to experience life twice."
- Anais Nin





No comments: