Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Foudre

Foudre (Fr.)/ lightning (Eng.) (noun)
  • the flashing of light produced by a discharge of atmospheric electricity; the discharge itself
  • a sudden stroke of fortune
In the Joan Rivers' documentary "A Piece of Work", agent/manager Larry Thompson has a wonderful way of phrasing Ms. Rivers’ staying power when he says: “To get hit by lightning, you have to stand out in the rain, often for a very long time.”

I recently shared news with a friend of mine of a new venture that I am beginning . Her reaction was exactly what I had feared, it implied that I am never satisfied with any one thing. In a nutshell, she had a hard time understanding why I would begin something new, yet again. Why am I always embarking on something new, working so hard towards new goals, rather than relaxing and finding solace in my current situation? She reminded me that my current situation was the pursuit of a new venture not that long ago. She attempted to give me a proverbial shoulder shaking when she asked, "Darling, you must stop and ask yourself, what is your real life's dream?". My response, "I am living it. I have many dreams within this dream."

Perhaps I will stop pursuing my soul's ventures and settled into something permanent when I have a clear signal that it is time to do just that. Lightning seems like a clear enough sign.

No comments: