Monday, October 6, 2014

Guest post by Karen: Growth Opportunities

(Paris apartment balcony)

One of my oldest and dearest friends came to visit me this summer. She was in Paris for a conference so we enjoyed a little bit of Paris together, with the added bonus of a side trip to Brussels, and then some quality girl time at my house in Burgundy. Karen is a delight, she is beautiful, generous, kind, smart and an overall inspiration. When I grow up, I want to be just like her. Today's guest post is about her takeaways from her time with me in France.

(11th arrondissement in Paris)


Guest post by Karen:
This summer I was the guest of a beautiful friend-- living nine hours ahead with her, staying in gorgeous locations, and found myself surrounded by abundance-- the food and spirits of the gods and the company of vibrant and inspiring people.As Joseph Campbell said, "The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" To expand on that, the privilege of my holiday was being with a friend who allows me to me myself and loves me for it, in France no-less.
 (walking thorugh the street in Noyers-sur-Serein, Bourgogne)


To add to my personal jackpot, I find myself blessed post journey with the “gift of giggles”.  You know that experience after an adventure, when you recall something that makes a shit-eating grin spread across your face? It is the travel gift that keeps on giving.

(La Serein in Noyers)

Growth Opportunities
As I re-enter my day-to-day life I am armed with a treasure box of what I would call holiday nuggets for future growth and enlightenment.  You know the feeling when you piece together a list of things to explore at a later time?  You may have heard about a new book, recipe, philosophy, or even find yourself inspired by a new outlook. Maybe you decide to embrace a new, (or an old), side of yourself.  Whatever it is, the feeling is often palpable after trip.  It is a fire within. You vibrate at a more intense level. I would further opine that this may be even MORE true when you journey to France.  To me, France itself is a magical and inspiring place where possibility seems to dance on the wind.  Below is a list of some of the take-away nuggets in my post travel treasure box.  

(upstairs attic at the house in Noyers, referred to as 
"Growth Opportunity")

1.    A call to meditate (download this app).  Slow down and shut out the noise. 
  
(My room in Noyers, referred to as "Little Cambodia")

2.    Learn French. Take a class. Host an exchange student. See what I can learn in my own backyard.



3.     The Wild Unknown Tarot  What are my questions? To frame the question is the first step to finding the answer. Look within.  Be mindful. Be brave. 



4.    Asian cooking. Yes, I come back from France inspired to improve my culinary skills.  My Asian skills in particular.  I learned how to make Sushi and a Korean dish called Vegetarian Bibimbap.  (Note: add fermented soy paste and Kimchi. Delicious and nutritious). My next goal is to self-learn spring rolls.  Yum.


5.    Tracy Anderson Arms. Seriously, there are these deceptively simple and short clips on You Tube. The trick is to carve out the time. Do it with a friend, do it on vacation, and then try to “high five”. I dare you.  



6.    Tuning Forks for the human condition. Who couldnt use a tune up from Noreen?
(prototype for Noreen's large scale rock installation in Noyers)

7.    Be nice to your candles and they will last longer. Push the wax down when they are warm, use a snuffer, keep the wicks short.
(Cypres, Figuer, Baeis, and Feu de Bois. The gifts that keep on giving.)


8.    Be open. If the universe throws you a perfect pitch, you might as well swing at the ball. Dont be afraid. What is the worst that can happen? You fail?  That is just an opportunity to grow stronger. Its not that complicated.

(the beginning of the rock installation on the hill near the chateau in Noyers)

9.    Listen to your inner voice. Sometimes you have to find the melody alone.  It is OK. Reminds me a Avett Brothers song...


10.  I am pretty sure I have a few unmentionable “nuggets” to unwrap as well. This was France, after all. Viva La France!

In humble gratitude to Jules.  Thanks for helping me light up. Thanks for the gift of giggles that keeps on giving.   Thanks for the treasure box of “nuggets”. Thanks for the simple abundance of your friendship. 


No comments: