Sunday, March 20, 2011

Printemps



Printemps (Fr.)/ Spring (End.) noun
  • A source, origin, beginning.
  • The season of the year occurring between winter and summer, during which the weather becomes warmer and plants revive.
  • A time of growth and renewal.
I love the fact that the first day of Spring fell on a Sunday this year. Sundays are my scheduled days for just being. It helps that pretty much every store, museum, wine bar, (good) restaurant is closed on Sundays, which is meant as a gesture to encourage French citizens to enjoy time with their family. Not having any blood relatives to hang with on Sundays, I spent it in my own reverent way.  

  • I bought strawberries, tomatoes, avocados and flowers at the Place Monge Farmer's market.
  • Ate the perfect veggie Vietnamese sandwich (prepared by the most adorable Chinese girl named Alizia) on a bench overlooking the Seine. 
  • Did my French homework from the comfort of a reclining chair in the Luxemborg Gardens. (and by "homework" I mean that I held my French book while I peered over it to stare at approximately a bazillion couples making out big time. It is the first day of spring after all.)
  • Walked endlessly through the streets of Paris, listening to Stevie Wonder.
  • Was stopped dead in my tracks by an army of roller bladders. (not sure if army is the right term, but what exactly is the proper term for a mass of roller bladers?)
  • And now I am home, sitting down to the perfect First-Day-of-Spring dinner which is comprised of  A bottle of Chateau Montauriol Fronton Tradition (Negrette/Cab Franc/Syrah), strawberries and Rocher Noir chocolat treats (my favorite) from the boulangerie across the street.


If today is any indication, this new year is going to be spectacular.

Here's to spring!

No comments: