Friday, March 18, 2011

à faire

à faire (Fr.) To do (Eng.) verb

I love Alber Elbaz, the designer for Lanvin. His collections are amazing and induce serious drooling by yours truly. Today I saw a quote from him regarding the recent A/W '11 collections.

"Backstage I am seeing only the mistakes. I see what works, but I see more what doesn't. I guess that is the reason I come to the studio the next day. To start all over again."
- Alber Elbaz

Right now I am working a lot. It is such a blessing to be given the opportunity to work on a project that focuses on making a significant change in the world, especially when it is on behalf of a large corporation. People (myself included) have a tendency to harsh on the "corporate world" as a rebellion to cubicle life, profit-focused disregard for the greater good. So you can understand why I must count my blessings everyday that I have been hired to manage a project for the world's largest technology company to help them spread the word of their philanthropic efforts. And that's not all, I get to do it from my apartment in Paris, which is pretty much the opposite of cubicle life.

So then why is it that when asked "how is life in Paris?" do I start out by saying, "How would I know? I work all the time", as if it were a complaint?  I mention how I don't have time to go to the museums, drink coffee in cafes, or take in the Parisian scene from a bench on the Seine. It seems I am focusing on what I don't have and what I am not doing rather than what I DO have and what I AM doing. Geez, I know better than this!

If recognizing this behavior is the first step, then doing something about it must be the next. From now on I will focus my answer on stating what I do have, and am doing:

photo by TommyTon for Style.com
  • I am enjoying life as a true Parisian. Not a tourist.
  • I am blessed to do work everyday that matters.
  • I have a job that I am paid for and do it from the comfort of my apartment, in Paris!
  • I work with people who are lovely.
  • I have Saturdays for indulging in all of the markets, boutiques, museums, restaurants that I can manage.
  • I have Sundays for focusing on my personal pursuits, which will soon evolve into time spent picnicking in the parks.
  • I am entrusted with important projects and my decision making is admired and respected.
  • I live in a neighborhood in the center of everything, so if I need to run out for an errand, it is sure to be within a short walking distance.
  • I have internet connections that make it a seamless process.
  • I am so so so blessed with this opportunity.

And I hope to wake up everyday to start it all over again.

No comments: