Friday, March 25, 2011

Réduire

(photo by Tommy Ton)
Réduire (Fr.)/Reduce (Eng) verb:
to lessen in any way, as in size, weight, amount, value, price; diminish; to put into a simpler or more concentrated form.

"In order to seek one's own direction, one must simplify the mechanics of ordinary, everyday life."
- Plato

"Reduce the complexity of life by eliminating the needless wants of life, and the labors of life reduce themselves."
- Edwin Way Teale

It's springtime in Paris and the temperatures are beginning to warm, which means that the layers begin to be shed. To many, it signals spring cleaning, a clearing out of closets and removal of dust and debris from homes. Perhaps it is because I live in a teeny tiny Parisian apartment, with only what fits inside of two duffels, a carry on, and a briefcase, but to me it is prompting a different type of clearing.

I have a tendency to have a lot on my plate at all times. I tend to thrive when I am busy. But being in Paris has caused an awareness around my busyness and perhaps even changed my relationship with it. I find myself longing for periods of nothingness, where I can just be, focus on the things that I truly enjoy, reflect, play, and God forbid, do nothing.

I have been advised that it is time to remove things from my plate in order to make space for my life to unfold. This is really uncomfortable for me. I suppose it is similar to that feeling you have before you take that bag of clothes, clothes that you once adored, to Goodwill. Yet, afterwards you realize that you really don't miss them at all and even feel lighter and more buoyant.

The key is in trusting that your life will continue to be abundant and full even if your closet, and schedule are not.

No comments: